The purpose of code enforcement is to ensure safe and sanitary conditions in housing and commercial properties through effective code enforcement efforts. Enforcement is done in order to make all communities a better place to live, work, play, and conduct business through the laws and regulations governing code enforcement.
Properties are inspected for violations such as:
- decayed/damaged leaking roofs,
- holes in flooring (both inside and out),
- broken window glass; flaking/peeling paint,
- units not supplied with water or adequate heat,
- rodent infestation or unsanitary conditions,
- overgrown, littered vacant lots,
- junk/inoperative vehicles,
- electrical hazards,
- open and vacant structures,
- dilapidated buildings, and
numerous other deficiencies which render properties substandard, or unsafe to its occupants or the general public.