- Inform residents of East Atlanta about the public school options for which they are zoned: Burgess Peterson Academy (Elementary school, also known as “BPA”); Coan Middle School; and Maynard Jackson High School.
- Provide a channel of communication and engagement between the community and the school system.
The Education Committee has been very active in connecting East Atlanta to its public schools, especially to its neighborhood elementary school, Burgess Peterson Academy. The Committee has:
- Organized and advertised tours of the school for prospective parents
- Organized Pre-K and Kindergarten “Round-ups” – Interactive informational sessions that expose future students and their parents to an actual day in school
- Coordinated volunteer activities at the School
- Begun work on a “Prospective Parents” webpage for BPA
- Continue tours of the school, and develop on-line “virtual tours”
- Create an on-line site for showcasing and coordinating future volunteer efforts at the School
- Work with the PTA to further connect School and Community
The Education Committee will meet quarterly at a time/date/venue TBA, but we encourage you to contact the chairperson with any questions.
For information about all of the school options for East Atlanta children, visit here.
Lewis Cartee – Education Committee
A 1992 graduate of The University of Georgia, Lewis moved to East Atlanta in the Spring of 2006 with his wife Debbie where the two of them raise their daughter. Prior to holding the EAPN and Education chairs, Lewis’ past roles with EACA included chairing the Communication Committee while serving as Vice President in 2010 and 2011 as well as steering the Association as President in 2012.