The mission of the Education Committee is two-fold:
- Inform residents of East Atlanta about the public school options for which they are zoned: Burgess Peterson Academy (Elementary school, also known as “BPA”); Coan Middle School; and Maynard Jackson High School.
- Provide a channel of communication and engagement between the community and the school system.
The Education Committee has been very active in connecting East Atlanta to its public schools, especially to its neighborhood elementary school, Burgess Peterson Academy. The Committee has:
- Organized and advertised tours of the school for prospective parents
- Organized Pre-K and Kindergarten “Round-ups” – Interactive informational sessions that expose future students and their parents to an actual day in school
- Coordinated volunteer activities at the School
- Begun work on a “Prospective Parents” webpage for BPA
For the academic year of 2011-2012, the Committee plans to build on these successes with the following agenda:
- Continue tours of the school, and develop on-line “virtual tours”
- Create an on-line site for showcasing and coordinating future volunteer efforts at the School
- Work with the PTA to further connect School and Community
The Education Committee will meet quarterly at a time/date/venue TBA, but we encourage you to contact the chairperson with any questions.
For information about all of the school options for East Atlanta children, visit here.
Charles Turner – Education Committee
A graduate of Georgia State University, Charles has lived in and around the East Atlanta area for numerous years. His present address has been home for he and his wife Beverly for many years. They’ve raised one daughter there and are now raising a grandson.
As a resident and business owner over the years, Charles had been very active in the EACA and EABA community until the mid 2000s. He became re-involved recently in his present commitment as the ML King Middle School’s LSC chair, and is also on the board of SEACS (Southeast Atlanta Communities for Schools).